dig and the searchlist

Uwe Gansert ug at suse.de
Tue Sep 6 11:36:35 UTC 2005

On Tuesday 06 September 2005 13:05, Brad Knowles wrote:

> At 11:14 AM +0200 2005-09-06, Uwe Gansert wrote:
>
> >  If I add the ndots option to the resolv.conf, then it works
> >  but if I provide it as command line parameter like you suggested,
> >  it does not work here. It just queries "www.taylor." and ignores
> >  the +ndots=3D2
> >  It's dig version 9.3.1
> >  Do you have an idea what could be wrong?
>
> 	By default, ndots is usually set to be one.  You have to
> over-ride it on the command-line, if you want something else.  You

I know and that's what I tried. I tried dig with +ndots=3D2
but that did not work for me. The search list was not used.

> can also over-ride it in the /etc/resolv.conf, if you like.  But one

that's what I tried too and that worked fine.
I'm just wondering why dig ignores the +ndots=3D2 parameter.

> 	So, over-ride it on the command-line, or over-ride it in
> /etc/resolv.conf.  Those are your choices.

I know. I understood that but the command line way does=20
not work here. Just the resolv.conf way worked and I don't
understand why 'dig +ndots=3D2 ...' does not work here.

=2D-=20
ciao, Uwe Gansert

Uwe Gansert, Server Technologies Team
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstrasse 5, D-90409 N=FCrnberg, Germany
e-mail: uwe.gansert at suse.de, Tel: +49-(0)911-74053-0,
=46ax: +49-(0)911-74053-476, Web: http://www.suse.de     =20