dig and the searchlist

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Tue Sep 6 11:05:41 UTC 2005

At 11:14 AM +0200 2005-09-06, Uwe Gansert wrote:

>  If I add the ndots option to the resolv.conf, then it works
>  but if I provide it as command line parameter like you suggested,
>  it does not work here. It just queries "www.taylor." and ignores
>  the +ndots=3D2
>  It's dig version 9.3.1
>  Do you have an idea what could be wrong?

	By default, ndots is usually set to be one.  You have to
over-ride it on the command-line, if you want something else.  You
can also over-ride it in the /etc/resolv.conf, if you like.  But one
way or the other, ndots has to be set higher than one if you want the
behaviour you're looking for.

	So, over-ride it on the command-line, or over-ride it in
/etc/resolv.conf.  Those are your choices.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755