resolving differently depending on location?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Mon Oct 17 19:22:04 UTC 2005

In article <dj0nh1$13c$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Sid Shapiro <sid_shapiro at bio-rad.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> In a global intranet, some of my people would like to have connections
> made to "close" servers. That is you ask for a connection to, say,
> local.company.com and you get connected to a server which is closer to you
> depending on where you are.
>
> When I was asked this, my first reaction was that this was a misuse of
> DNS, but then I remembered that other places - ebay, or google have
> geographically placed servers and connections are made to the "closest"
> server to you.
>
> Is this done in DNS or is it handled by the web (or whatever)
> applications?

Both ways.  It can be done in DNS using custom DNS servers (e.g. Cisco
Distributed Director) -- BIND doesn't have any support for this.

It can also be handled by web applications, using HTTP's redirect
mechanism.  So if you go to www.somewhere.com, it could redirect you to
us.somewhere.com, uk.somewhere.com, etc.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA