resolving differently depending on location?

Sid Shapiro sid_shapiro at bio-rad.com
Mon Oct 17 16:59:53 UTC 2005

Hello,
In a global intranet, some of my people would like to have connections
made to "close" servers. That is you ask for a connection to, say,
local.company.com and you get connected to a server which is closer to you
depending on where you are.

When I was asked this, my first reaction was that this was a misuse of
DNS, but then I remembered that other places - ebay, or google have
geographically placed servers and connections are made to the "closest"
server to you.

Is this done in DNS or is it handled by the web (or whatever)
applications?

Thanks,
/ Sid /