Bind internal and external

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sun Oct 9 17:21:01 UTC 2005

On Sunday 2005-October-09 08:53, Andy Pieters wrote:
> We currently have a bind 9 setup that serves on the lan to skip our
> providers dns which suffers from multiple and extended failures.
> During those failures the domain name we have is also not available
> so we would like to use this one dns server that already serves
> internaly for lookups, be used as primary dns server for the domain

There are two issues with this. One is that you can't resolve your own
domain. You could set it up as a slave, if the provider allows zone
transfers.

But that does nothing about the other issue, which is that outsiders
cannot resolve your domain, either. If this is a necessity you should
get another DNS provider, with an eye toward reliability.

If you have a static IP and adequate bandwidth and server reliability
(good hardware, electrical service, UPS) you can be one of your own
nameservers. If you have another site (or low standards ;) ) you can
provide all DNS for your domain.

With the right resources and a basic understanding of DNS, it's not
difficult to do this. Lacking either of those, though, you might want
to consider using a commercial DNS provider.

For small-timers like you and me, Zoneedit.com is a very good deal.
They're using BIND 8 and don't support notify, but they're great for
basically static zones. I run my own server as master and set up
zoneedit as slaves. Raise your TTL value above their default 2h, and
you should have no trouble keeping your usage below the point at which
you have to pay for it.
    or "not-spam" is in Subject: header