Blackholing / Load help

McLaughlin, Scott scottm at newedgenetworks.com
Tue Nov 29 23:20:16 UTC 2005

So its strictly a memory thing?  We see the processor load go up greatly
from a list of 7k to a list of 15k, so it seemed that the server got bogged
down with a larger file.  Which made us think faster box would deal with it
much better.

>> Individual addresses are treated as /32 or /128.
>>The acl code is pretty simple.  See lib/dns/acl.c.

Based on that and the above response the only impact of listing everything
with a CIDR is the file becomes smaller using less memory?  But as far as
BIND is concerned it takes the same amount of effort to process the IP
regardless of its CIDR?  That's good to know.

>>The acl code is pretty simple.  See lib/dns/acl.c.

Thanks for the code reference we'll check it out.

>>I can't parse the above.  An example would help.

Sorry was being vague.  I also meant /8 not /9.  Its not super important,
just thought it might be a bug.

For example if I put this into the blackhole list:

192.0.0.0/8
the DNS server starts throwing SERVFAILs against any IP making a query
against it.  But if I change that to

192.0.0.0/9 or any smaller mask it behaves as expected.

Thanks for your help Mark.