What happens when a domain is moved but the old nameservers still answer?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Nov 29 03:01:03 UTC 2005

In article <dm1knt$1r48$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Eivind Olsen <eivind at aminor.no>
wrote:

> In this case I'm seing here, my guess is that they've moved from one
> DNS-hosting provider to another, and didn't think about asking their old
> provider to unconfigure their domain-name from the old nameservers,
> after all, the domain is no longer delegated to the old nameservers and
> so shouldn't normally be asked about the domain name anyway.

When I used to work for an ISP, I ran a script every day that checked
that all the zones we hosted were delegated to our servers.  When it
reported a failure, I notified the customer we were hosting the domain
for, and worked with them to resolve the issue (either fixing the
delegation if it was changed in error, or removing the zone from our
servers).

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA