New to Bind: Need Catch-All for domain parking

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Nov 23 01:44:41 UTC 2005

MobileNow wrote:

>Hi everybody,
>I'm completely new to Bind so any help with this would be
>appreciated.
>
>What I'm wanting to do is set up BIND so that it will respond to any
>domain.  What I'm wanting to use this for is so that anyone who
>decides to use my nameservers will have a parking page there.  I've
>been Googling around for it and I've found a number of places that
>say "you have to add an entry for THIS into THAT file" but being new,
>I don't know what an entry for that would look like.

Create a fake root zone with one or more wildcard records in it. *BUT*,
big caveat, if you do this, make sure you either a) set
"minimal-responses yes", or b) keep your root NS records constantly in
synch with the public ones. If you give out bogus/stale root NS records,
older nameserver implementations may actually believe them, and you may
get some angry emails/calls from other DNS admins. "minimal-responses"
prevents your nameserver from giving out those NS records for anything
but explicit queries, so it removes the requirement to stay constantly
in synch, but on the other hand, if you're serving any real domains from
the same nameserver instance, it means that the apex NS records of those
zones will be more-or-less invisible -- other nameservers will rely
primarily on the delegation NS records instead -- which could prove
troublesome if you want to readdress your nameservers, migrate to
different nameservers, or whatever. If you serve some real zones and
want to go the "minimal-responses" route, you may want to run a separate
nameserver instance on its own interface or on a separate box
exclusively for this "parking" function, since apparently
"minimal-responses" is only a global option; not settable at the zone
level or even the view level.

                              - Kevin