svc to start/stop/restart BIND

Brad Knowles brad at stop.mail-abuse.org
Thu Nov 3 03:12:34 UTC 2005

At 2:30 PM +1100 2005-11-03, Raj wrote:

>  Yes we can use rndc to reload the configuration files and restart
>  BIND. But I would like to implement svc on BIND if there is a way.

	The problem is that svc is a program that is intended to take
other programs and give them a way to be daemonized, i.e. to run
continuosly in the background and be monitored, etc....  It's a djb
implementation of inetd.  But BIND already runs daemonized -- you
don't run it under inetd, and you don't run it under svc.

	Sorry, guy.  Don't make the mistake of trying to take djb
software and use it with anything else that is not djb software.

     Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755