Problem resolving www.futureshop.ca

Lawrence Houston bind at greenfield.dyndns.org
Wed May 25 22:55:47 UTC 2005

On Wed, 25 May 2005, James Philpott wrote:

> Ensure that you have port 53 tcp/udp enabled at any route point/firewall
> between that machine and the Internet.

Todate this is the first "persistent" instance of my Local BIND being
unable to access a specific Nameserver to resolve specific Hostnames
(other Hostnames remain resolvable), hence I assume Port 53 tcp/udp on my
Debian Firewall/Router must be "open" (what exactly my Provider is up to
is another question???)...  As a "test" I replaced the Debian BOX with a
GNAT Box, but the "problem" remained!

> You could also try dumping the cache of your local cache server and then
> grep for 'futureshop' or 'bestbuy'. In the data of a cache dump it is
> fairly easy to see where the problem is if it is caching data that is
> affecting you (e.g. negative response, bad referral, etc...).

After a dig +trace run GREP found no instances of "futureshop" or
"bestbuy" in my Local BIND's Cache...  This actually appears to be a
problem reaching the dns1.cidc.telus.com/dns2.cidc.telus.com Nameservers
from my location!!!  Hence there maybe nothing much I can do from my
end???

Lawrence Houston  --  (bind at greenfield.dyndns.org)