internal view - forward problem

Sten Carlsen ccc2716 at vip.cybercity.dk
Sat May 21 16:12:31 UTC 2005

I assume a few things:

1 - the external view is a slave of the master.

2 - the internal view is master for the internal zone (who else would
know the facts?)

3 - the name of the zone (including subdomain names) in the internal
view is the same as in the external view?

If this is your configuration, the internal view is master and therefore
authoritative. So if the name is not in its data, the name can safely be
assumed to NOT exist, if it did, the internal view would know about it
as it is authoritative. Following from this, the internal view will not
forward the query, but will reply that it does not exist.
I assume this is what you see?

A server (or view) can not be master (= authoritative) and at the same
time recognize that it does not have all data and forward a query to
someone else.

I see two options:

1 - If you control the master, change its files to include a file with
the data you want to be visible in the internal view and then include
this file in the internal view.

2 - change the name of the internal zone to xxx.domain.com (change xxx
to whatever you like) then you can make the internal view a slave of the
external master and so have that data available also internally.

--
Best regards

Sten Carlsen

Let HIM who has an empty INBOX send the first mail.