Complex DNS Resolver Question

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Fri May 13 13:48:51 UTC 2005

"www.ttdown.com" <radiusmax at hotmail.com> wrote:

>We are currenlty connected to another company via a LAN-to-LAN vpn
>with limited access to some of their resources.  We are trying to
>setup DNS for our local clients to access these resources through our
>DNS servers.  However, this company also has their domain name
>available to the internet.  For example, example.com is there domain.
>We want to access test.example.com through the VPN, but we want to
>access home.example.com via the internet.
>
>Basically, I would like to selectively resolve some records for a
>domain one way and for the other records within that domain, have
>internet DNS records resolve it.  Is it possible to do this with Bind
>9 or Windows 2003 DNS?

There are two separate issues here.  The first concerns which DNS server
to query, and the second concerns what TCP/IP routing to use to get to
the server in question.  If test.example.com is on a different subnet
than home.example.com, then you can configure your routers accordingly.

With respect to DNS, can your DNS server(s) be slaves for the

     example.com

zone(s)?  I can not give a more detailed answer without knowing more
specifics about your configuration and the subnets involved.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov