Moving DNS

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Mar 30 23:49:53 UTC 2005

> We are buying another ISP right now and I have to move about 80 Domains to
> my Name Server.  My question is this.
>
> All there domains are registered with there registrar as ns.simplynet.net
> and lovecraft.simplynet.net.  Instead of me going to the registrar of every
> domain and changing the dns servers to my name servers, can I just change
> the main domain simplynet.net dns server to ns1.duracom.net.  Then on the
> simplynet.net zone file of ns1.duracom.net can I change the A record for
> lovecraft and ns to point to the A record of ns1.duracom.net or should I do
> a CNAME?

	Nameservers can NEVER be CNAMES.  It breaks fetching of glue.

	Since you are changing the name of the nameserver you need
	to add a host record (glue) for the new name then you need to
	change all the delegations to refer to the new name.

	If you were just changing the address then all you would
	need to change is the host record (glue).

	Mark
--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org