Moving DNS

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 30 23:29:54 UTC 2005

Kris McElroy wrote:

>We are buying another ISP right now and I have to move about 80 Domains to
>my Name Server.  My question is this.
>
>All there domains are registered with there registrar as ns.simplynet.net
>and lovecraft.simplynet.net.  Instead of me going to the registrar of every
>domain and changing the dns servers to my name servers, can I just change
>the main domain simplynet.net dns server to ns1.duracom.net.  Then on the
>simplynet.net zone file of ns1.duracom.net can I change the A record for
>lovecraft and ns to point to the A record of ns1.duracom.net or should I do
>a CNAME?

No, it's not legal to point an NS record at a CNAME.

You could change the delegations for simplynet.net to point to your
nameservers (yes, nameservers, plural, since you are required to have at
least 2 for every domain) and then in that zone change the addresses of
ns.simplynet.net and lovecraft.simplynet.net to point to your
nameservers' addresses. But for this to work you'd *also* need to change
this in the "host" part of your registrar's maintenance interface. Of
course, before changing those A records, double-check that they aren't
being used for purposes besides DNS, otherwise you may break those
services if you aren't hosting them on your nameservers.

In the long term, I think you probably want your nameservers to be
referred to by consistent names, so you'll want to change all of those
ns.simplynet.net and lovecraft.simplynet.net delegation records to
ns1.duracom.net and your other nameserver(s), matching those changes in
the NS records of the zones themselves. The above scheme (just changing
the ns.simplynet.net and lovecraft.simplynet.net A records) may be
appropriate as a short-term migration solution, but if your registrar
has a "bulk delegation change" capability, you should probably avail
yourself of that in order to save yourself some effort in the long term.

- Kevin