Updating forwarders dynamically

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Mar 30 22:22:44 UTC 2005

A. Farber wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm using OpenBSD -current with bind 9.3.0 and I receive
>the nameservers from my ADSL-provider when I connect to it
>using ppp. I've searched this newsgroup and have learnt
>that forwarding is unneeded in my setup and I should just
>use the root hints.
>
>But still I'm curious, if there is a way to update the
>"forwarders" option in the snippet of my named.conf
>(s. below)dynamically, via nsupdate or maybe Net::DNS
>and not through generating the named.conf file anew and
>restarting the named?

nsupdate and Net::DNS are only capable, at most, of making Dynamic
Updates to the DNS database. named doesn't consult the DNS database to
determine where to forward queries, however; it gets its forwarding
information from named.conf. So the short answer to your question is: no
way. You'd need to modify named.conf (or some file include'd into
named.conf), in order to change the forwarders that named uses.

I believe a "reload" is sufficient for named to use new forwarders after
named.conf is changed. Shouldn't need to do a full restart...

                                                                     - Kevin