named dies with signal 6

Jim Reid jim at rfc1035.com
Thu Mar 24 22:22:27 UTC 2005

    Odhiambo> =46rom the /var/log/messages... I see this:

    Odhiambo> Mar 23 05:42:35 longonot named[20460]: savestr: memget failed (Cannot alloc= ate memory)
    Odhiambo> Mar 23 05:42:35 longonot named[20460]: savestr: memget failed (Cannot alloc= ate memory)

This is why your name server is dying. It's running out of memory. You
need to feed the server more RAM. Or move some of your DNS data on to
another name server to the failing one uses less memory. Or you could
shift other memory-hungry applications on to another box. Or tweak the
OS to allow the name server to use more RAM or VM. Or some combination
of these.

Upgrading to BIND9 might also be a good option as it has hooks to control
the amount of memory it uses. This might help if it's the server's
cache that's getting too big for the hardware/OS.