Problem resolving a domain on my cache server. (part II)

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Wed Mar 23 22:49:25 UTC 2005

> Hi Mark,
>
> I know what you mean. The problem is that my cache server keeps
> resolving for a while but somehow from time to times this host
> (www.redecard.com.br) cannot be resolved by my cache server (my server
> answer with timeout responses). But when this host cannot be resolved by
> my cache server I setup a script that dig this host directly from their
> two ns
>
> dig -b mycacheserver_ip_address#the_same_src_port_namded_is_using
> www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.110
> dig -b mycacheserver_ip_address#the_same_src_port_namded_is_using
> www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.111
>
> I get positive answers. So I suppose it is not communication fault or
> their fault.
>
> Don't you think my cache server daemon may be losing something when it
> tries to resolve this specific host?
> =20
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Fabiano

	It looks like they are running the Microsoft Windows 2000
	nameserver version which has a dead timer after they get a
	EDNS query.  It returns a FORMERR then doesn't respond to
	EDNS queries from the same IP address for 60 seconds.

	This really hurts when there are multiple nameservers behind
	a NAT (as they all appear to come from the same address)
	but can also hurt a non NAT'd nameserver if the timing is
	right.

	http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;837928

	Bcc'd postmaster at credicard.com.br so they fix their nameserver.

	Perform the following two queries.  The first will be
	responded to.  The second (and subsequent queries) will be
	dropped.

	dig +bufsize=512 www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.111
	dig +bufsize=512 www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.111

	Mark