Problem resolving a domain on my cache server. (part II)

Ronan Flood ronan at noc.ulcc.ac.uk
Wed Mar 23 17:07:27 UTC 2005

"Fabiano Silos Reis" <fsilos at ig.com> wrote:

> I know what you mean. The problem is that my cache server keeps
> resolving for a while but somehow from time to times this host
> (www.redecard.com.br) cannot be resolved by my cache server (my server
> answer with timeout responses). But when this host cannot be resolved by

When this happens, what does your server show for

dig redecard.com.br. ns +norec
dig regulus1.credicard.com.br. a +norec
dig canopus1.credicard.com.br. a +norec

I mean, does it still have the information about how to get to the
record for www.redecard.com.br?

> my cache server I setup a script that dig this host directly from their
> two ns
>
> dig -b mycacheserver_ip_address#the_same_src_port_namded_is_using
> www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.110
> dig -b mycacheserver_ip_address#the_same_src_port_namded_is_using
> www.redecard.com.br @200.211.224.111
>
> I get positive answers. So I suppose it is not communication fault or
> their fault.
>
> Don't you think my cache server daemon may be losing something when it
> tries to resolve this specific host?

One thing I notice is that on a direct query, their nameservers do not
return authority and additional records for the NS/A:

% dig @200.211.224.111 www.redecard.com.br. a +norec

; <<>> DiG 9.2.3 <<>> @200.211.224.111 www.redecard.com.br. a +norec
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.redecard.com.br.           IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.redecard.com.br.    3600    IN      A       200.185.9.46

Could that be significant?  Also the records they do actually have:

% dig @200.211.224.111 redecard.com.br. ns +norec

;; ANSWER SECTION:
redecard.com.br.        3600    IN      NS      regulus1.credicard.com.br.
redecard.com.br.        3600    IN      NS      canopus1.credicard.com.br.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
regulus1.credicard.com.br. 3600 IN      A       200.211.224.110
canopus1.credicard.com.br. 3600 IN      A       200.211.224.111

have different TTLs from the delegation records:

% dig @a.dns.br. redecard.com.br. ns +norec

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
redecard.com.br.        86400   IN      NS      CANOPUS1.CREDICARD.com.br.
redecard.com.br.        86400   IN      NS      REGULUS1.CREDICARD.com.br.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
CANOPUS1.CREDICARD.com.br. 86400 IN     A       200.211.224.111
REGULUS1.CREDICARD.com.br. 86400 IN     A       200.211.224.110

which might cause problems.  I assume the upper/lowercase differences
are not relevant.

On a BIND 9.3.0 server here, when I do an initial query for
www.redecard.com.br I get

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.redecard.com.br.    3600    IN      A       200.185.9.46

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
redecard.com.br.        86399   IN      NS      REGULUS1.CREDICARD.com.br.
redecard.com.br.        86399   IN      NS      CANOPUS1.CREDICARD.com.br.

i.e. the NS records from the delegation.  BIND obviously has, or
had, the A records too, in order to get to www.redecard.com.br,
but does not include them as additional, and does not respond to
a direct query:

% dig REGULUS1.CREDICARD.com.br. a +norec

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;REGULUS1.CREDICARD.com.br.     IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
br.                     31117   IN      NS      C.DNS.br.
br.                     31117   IN      NS      D.DNS.br.
br.                     31117   IN      NS      E.DNS.br.
br.                     31117   IN      NS      A.DNS.br.
br.                     31117   IN      NS      B.DNS.br.

--
                      Ronan Flood <R.Flood at noc.ulcc.ac.uk>
                        working for but not speaking for