Possible Zone settings issues

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Mar 3 21:48:59 UTC 2005

> According to Terry Soucy:
> > Hey All,
> >
> > I have an interesting problem.
> >
> > We have a bind 9 installation on dns.integrant.ca.  It holds several zones
> > for clients, two of which are chownequipment.com and njohnsonequipment.com.
>
> > The chownequipment.com domain has been moved over to different DNS servers
> > due to the following problem...
>
> The problem is that dns.integrant.ca is a CNAME and not an A record.
>
> ;; ANSWER SECTION:
> dns.integrant.ca.       86400   IN      CNAME   integrant.ca.
> integrant.ca.           86400   IN      A       156.34.135.82
>

> According to the standards, an NS must point to an A RR. Most
> recent dns (and thus bind) versions adhere to the standards and
> thus will not resolve the domain. Older implementations sometimes
> follow the CNAME.

	Older implementations don't see the CNAME as often they
	are not IPv6 aware.  IPv6 added AAAA records in addition
	to A records.  IPv6 aware nameservers look for AAAA records
	and get a CNAME in response.

	To break the older servers you would need to lookup some type
	other than A explicitly, e.g. MX, to see the CNAME as the
	glue A record often sufficed for them.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org