Possible Zone settings issues

Edvard Tuinder listbind at lunytune.nl
Thu Mar 3 21:04:39 UTC 2005

According to Terry Soucy:
> Hey All,
>
> I have an interesting problem.
>
> We have a bind 9 installation on dns.integrant.ca.  It holds several zones
> for clients, two of which are chownequipment.com and njohnsonequipment.com.
> The chownequipment.com domain has been moved over to different DNS servers
> due to the following problem...

The problem is that dns.integrant.ca is a CNAME and not an A record.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
dns.integrant.ca.       86400   IN      CNAME   integrant.ca.
integrant.ca.           86400   IN      A       156.34.135.82

According to the standards, an NS must point to an A RR. Most
recent dns (and thus bind) versions adhere to the standards and
thus will not resolve the domain. Older implementations sometimes
follow the CNAME.

-Ed