facing problem

Stephane Bortzmeyer bortzmeyer at nic.fr
Wed Mar 2 15:34:09 UTC 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 07:44:54PM +0530,
 Vishwanath T. K. <vishytk at gmail.com> wrote
 a message of 56 lines which said:

> Tell me one thing, can i force (somehow) and make a new nameserver
> as the authoritative server.

What you want is not really clear. For instance, you mention "the
[singular] authoritative server" while *all* the name servers of the
domain are authoritative for it. I assume you want to make a new
master nameserver instead.

Even if your registrar does not agree to register it (but there is
probably another reason, I've never heard of a ".com" registrar which
refuses a nameserver because it cannot ping it), you can always setup
a stealth master. It is not announced (hence the "stealth") but the
slaves synchronizes from it so they serve the same data.

I assume that you control the slave nameservers? Remember that most
DNS problems are 10 % technical and 90 % political and organizational,
specially in registries like ".com" which separates the registry and
the registrar, therefore providing a lot of opportunities for
misunderstanding and finger-pointing.