cTLD and DNS upgrade

Peter Dambier peter at peter-dambier.de
Tue Jun 28 22:07:36 UTC 2005

Mr. Beaver wrote:
| Hi Peter,

Hi Mr. Beaver,

| About the next thing:
|
| In article <d9r7d7$2qjr$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
|  Peter Dambier <peter at peter-dambier.de> wrote:

|>CihanS at garanti.com.tr wrote:
|>| I have seen the following comment in one of the cTLD site...What upgrade
|>| do this mean? Thanks
|>|
|>| "Large ISPs have already started to upgrade their DNS servers, in order
|>| to allow all their subscribers to access the next-generation Internet.
|>| In the future, the second-generation Internet will be so pervasive,
|>| reliable and transparent that it is bound to be taken for granted."
|>|
|>|

|>Hi Cihan,
|>
|>this is about sites like
|>
|>http://xn--8pru44h.xn--55qx5d/
|>
|>which do not resolve on the legacy root-servers.
|>
|>Since china deployed their own root-server net, many ISPs in asia and
|>europe have choosen to support more than the 260 legacy domains.
|>
|>http://www.i-dns.net/
|>
|>has done a lot of research on other than US-ASCII alphabets. They
|>have been running root-servers successfully for several years now.
|>
|>http://www.inaic.com/
|>http://public-root.com/
|

| This really sounds interesting.
|
|>have brought all known domains under one roof on their Public-Root
|>servers.
|>
|>Several companies and especially banks have choosen the Public-Root
|>because we encourage mirroring our root-servers. All our root-servers
|>allow AXFR. Our costumers have their own root-servers invisible to
|>the outside so they cannot be attacked. If the root really comes
|>down they can run independantly for at least 2 weeks. Time enough
|>to bring our root-servers up again.
|>
|>Several ISPs have choosen the Public-Root because of the pressure
|>from chinese speaking costumers and because they do clone our
|>Root-Zone to their caching resolvers to prevent them from cache
|>poisoning (Kashpureffs attack).
|

| So things are getting serious these days. Can you recommend any ISP
| using this system? Friends of me coming from shanghai are all the time
| complaining aboyt the difficulties they have connecting back home.

In the netherlands I can recommend Tiscali. I have reviewed their
nameservers. I know they will do it all over europe soon because their
costumers ask for it.

on the site

http://www.inaic.com/index.php?p=tools-and-software

you can find an easy step by step how to change to the Public-Root
servers and where to find them. So even if your ISP has not changed
yet you can.

|    beaver

Regards,
Peter and Karin Dambier