Changing authoritative nameserver IPs

Danny Mayer mayer at gis.net
Sat Jun 25 19:54:28 UTC 2005

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 24, 2005 at 11:19:16PM -0400,
>  Barry Margolin <barmar at alum.mit.edu> wrote
>  a message of 29 lines which said:
>

>>So instead of just showing off your superior knowledge of DNS
>>details,
>

> It is not really a DNS detail (and has nothing to do with BIND, BTW),
> it is an organisational issue, pertaining to the "thin registry"
> concept.
>

>>how about answering the gist of his question: if different
>>registrars have conflicting nameserver IP entries, how is it ensured
>>that the glue records will be correct?
>

> I already did ("you must synchronize the IP address on every registrar
> that has it"). Instead of just criticizing, how about reading the

Actually that's not true. Only the whois of the registrar with whom you
registered the domain can be expected to be correct and that's up to the
registrar to do that. However whois has nothing to do with DNS except
that is the customary way to publish information about a domain. When
you register a domain with DNS nameservers authorative for that domain
the registrar needs to push that information to the parent domain. If
they update the whois information is strictly an administrative issue
and there is no requirement that they propogate that information to
other whois servers. As long as your domain and nameservers appear in
the parent domain you are done.

Let's stop confusing DNS with whois.

Danny