Can NS record point to CNAME record ?

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Tue Jun 21 23:30:08 UTC 2005

> Hello,
>
> I have server named "diamond" and would like to have primary DNS server
> (bind) on it named "ns1", but do not want to change server name from diamond
> to ns1.
>
> So can I do that:
>
> @           IN    NS         ns1.mydomain.com.
>
> diamond  IN    A           198.138.227.66
> ns1         IN    CNAME diamond
> www       IN    CNAME  diamond
>
> Regards
> Slawomir Orlowski

	No.  The rules for glue (copies of the *address* records
	in the parent zones) and additional section processing do
	not allow it to work.

	You would have to add both the CNAME and address records
	(A/AAAA) as glue to the parent zone and have CNAMEs be
	followed when doing additional section processing to make
	it work.

	Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC