Timeouts during cache cleaning and zone collection

JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉 jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp
Tue Jun 21 21:44:06 UTC 2005

> We are seeing a problem with BIND 9.3.0, compiled with threading on
> Solaris, whereby the servers stop answering queries for a couple of
> seconds. Qeuries in this interval time out. That is, they are not
> answered slowly, they are not answered at all.

This may be partly by a bug of inefficient algorithm for DB traversing
(cache or authoritative).  This bug was fixed in 9.3.1 with this
change:

1740.	[bug]		Replace rbt's hash algorithm as it performed badly
			with certain zones. [RT #12729]

so, upgrading to 9.3.1 would be a good deal.

Also, I've heard that some of the past performance problems were often
due to memory management issues, and sometimes can be improved by
building named with 'internal malloc'.  You can do this by, e.g., as
follows:

% ./configure --enable-threads STD_CDEFINES='-DISC_MEM_USE_INTERNAL_MALLOC=1'

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					jinmei at isl.rdc.toshiba.co.jp