Help with delegation

/dev/rob0 rob0 at gmx.co.uk
Sat Jun 11 01:22:12 UTC 2005

Michael Barber wrote:
> I am having a problem researching a domain delegation issue.  Thanking in
> advance for any help.

Welcome you are in advance of my attempt. :)

> I'm trying to delegate the entire *.preview.web-hosters.com to a secondary
> location which will/should be running dns as n3.hostingplatform.com

205.178.132.60 will be the master? The name does not matter to DNS,
although it may be an issue with the service provider (Zoneedit, for
example, wants your NS records to point to $SERVERNAME.zoneedit.com.)

> Here's my zone file.  I removed the glue record because it was logging an
> ignored message in my logs and was not mirring the glue record to the slave.

Glue is only when the NS name is in your zone. You could put the NS
records in your zone. You would then need the glue in the parent domain.
For second-level domains this is normally done at/by the registrar, but
in your case it would be done by those who control web-hosters.com.
(Appears to be you.)

> One of the hosts under this domain is 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com.  When
> I do a lookup at dnsstuff.com, I get this
> [snip]
> Searching for 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com A record at ns2.comcity.com.
> [209.10.62.39]: Reports that no A records exist. [took 87 ms]
>
> Answer:
> No A records exist for 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com. [Neg TTL=3600
> seconds]

I get the same thing, albeit from the NS servers you mentioned.

> I have no direct control over the *.hostingplatform.com zone.  Its being run
> by someone else.
> Its not working....Is it possible to tell why or what I need to do to fix
> this?
> Why does dnsstuff.com report that ns2.comcity.com is authoritative?

When did you try it? Maybe NS and glue records at the parent domain
weren't updated yet?

$ host -t ns preview.web-hosters.com.
preview.web-hosters.com name server ns4.hostingplatform.com.
preview.web-hosters.com name server ns3.hostingplatform.com.
$ host 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com.
Host 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

        web-hosters.com NS servers.
     2. There IS no "A" record for 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com.

UPDATE:
$ host 0000025.preview.web-hosters.com. ns3.hostingplatform.com.
Using domain server:
Name: ns3.hostingplatform.com.
Address: 205.178.132.60#53
Aliases:

0000025.preview.web-hosters.com has address 205.178.132.170

One hour is an abnormally long time to cache NXDOMAIN results.
     or "not-spam" is in Subject: header