bind 9.3.1 on windows 2000 - tmp files issue upon restart

nessuno nessuno at operamail.com
Tue Jul 26 08:23:40 UTC 2005

Hello,

  I'm experiencing a strange problem not always but almost every time I
restart ISC BIND 9.3.1 (binary release) on a windows 2000 box with
dynamic updates on almost every zone. Instead of the file
name_of_zone.db (for example) I end up having:

  0000000728.tmp
  name_of_zone.db.00728

I can manually fix this stopping the service, checking the serial of
both files, deleting name_of_zone.db.00728, renaming 0000000728.tmp to
name_of_zone.db and starting the service again, but this is definitely
insane.

My guess is that something happens at service stop preventing the
service from doing the above procedure itself while "committing"
dynamic updates to the zone file, but I'm stuck.

I've checked file permissions and they look OK (I've even tried setting
everyone-full control on the folder to make sure it was not a
permission problem) and no antivirus software is running on the server
(locking files too long thus preventing the service from
modifying/deleting the files).

I didn't find anything on google, but I can't believe I'm the
first/only one to have this problem.

Anyone observed anything similar? Hints?

Thanks in advance

  Luca