Some domains are being read off the secondary DNS instead of the primary DNS first

Joseph S D Yao jsdy at center.osis.gov
Tue Jul 19 01:36:17 UTC 2005

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 10:00:10AM -0600, The Doctor wrote:
> I did an nslookup on some of my domains and instead of primary and
> secondary listed in order, I got secondary and primary listed in order
> of preference.  I also reversed a few in the DNS record so that the primary
> and secondary should be listed in order of preference of primary first.
>
> What is going wrong?

(1) There is no preference associated with name server records.

(2) Even if you specify a specific order of presentation on YOUR name
    server, it will NOT be passed on to other name servers that might
    cache your zone's information.

(3) To a resolver, there is no such thing as primary/secondary or (in
    current terminology) master/slave.  All name servers are peer name
    servers.

--
Joe Yao