redirect access to a subdomain on internet to a local ip using windows 2000 dns

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Tue Jan 25 03:43:58 UTC 2005

Sibi wrote:

>I have a windows 2000 domain with Microsoft DNS running. I use a single
>label domain name (ie one without a "dot"). All memebers of my domain
>accessing a particular subdomain in the internet say
>www.subdomain.google.com should be directed to a local ip. At the same
>time access to www.google.com should be to the original google server
>in the internet. is it possible?
>
>Would there be any benifit if i chnage to BIND as my DNS?

In BIND, you could define www.subdomain.google.com or, if you prefer,
subdomain.google.com, as a "master" zone, within which the
www.subdomain.google.com name could resolve to an A record of your
choosing. For that matter, you could define google.com itself as a
master zone, but then you'd be stuck trying to match every change made
in the real google.com zone, and that seems like way too much work if
all you care about is a particular subdomain.

Don't know whether, or how, this same functionality would be possible
using Microsoft DNS...

                                             - Kevin

P.S. There's no shortage of commas in the world. Feel free to use them
as appropriate to make your text more readable.