redirect access to a subdomain on internet to a local ip using windows 2000 dns

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Tue Jan 25 02:53:35 UTC 2005

In article <ct3j6n$1s0b$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "Sibi" <sibijv at bigfoot.com>
wrote:

> I have a windows 2000 domain with Microsoft DNS running. I use a single
> label domain name (ie one without a "dot"). All memebers of my domain
> accessing a particular subdomain in the internet say
> www.subdomain.google.com should be directed to a local ip. At the same
> time access to www.google.com should be to the original google server
> in the internet. is it possible?
>
> Would there be any benifit if i chnage to BIND as my DNS?
> thanks in advance

I think you can accomplish this in essentially the same way with either
MS DNS or BIND.  Configure www.subdomain.google.com as a zone on the
server, and create an Address record with the zone's name that resolves
to the local IP.  This is not any different from how you create an
Address record for yourdomain.com.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA