Secondaries sometimes don't respond to notify

John Wobus jw354 at cornell.edu
Mon Jan 24 22:23:33 UTC 2005

Notifies sometimes get lost between our bind 9.3 servers.  What can I
look for as a cause?

Two secondary servers are showing the problem with the same primary
server.  When the failure occurs, the primary server logs that it sent
notifies, then logs 'notify retries exceeded' for the secondary in
question.  The secondary's log shows nothing.  Zones and secondaries
affected at any particular instance are random: failure occurs for only
10-40% of the notifications.  When one secondary fails for a particular
zone, the other one often succeeds in loading it.  The new zone files
have updated SOA serial numbers. The failing secondary later transfers
the zone successfully, when the refresh interval expires.  None of the
servers have firewall software.  The servers serve fewer than 300
zones.

I've checked the network, the bind config file options (which are
generally the defaults), looked for other problems in the logs,
searched my bind books/manuals and searched online and I have run out
of ideas.

John Wobus
Cornell CIT