DNS Management Packages?

Brzozowski, John Jason (John) jjbrzozowski at lucent.com
Fri Jan 7 19:29:49 UTC 2005

Dan aren't you employed by INS, the parent company of DiamondIP?

[JJB] Steve,
[JJB] There are about 80 different vendors out there. Of these
[JJB] the enterprise level \
[JJB] packages I've seen include:  InControl by INS (aquired Diamond IP)
[JJB]   QIP by Lucent
[JJB]   CNR by Cisco
[JJB]   NetID by Nortel
[JJB]
[JJB] QIP is pretty comprehensive but rigid and nearing end of
[JJB] life. CNR was an aquired \
[JJB] product and limited in scope. NetID has many features but
[JJB] lacks in areas and is \
[JJB] similarly at end of life. After the big bust Lucent,
[JJB] Cisco, and Nortel are all more \
[JJB] focused on hardware and their core areas. InControl is
[JJB] pretty comprehensive and early \
[JJB] in its lifecycle. It incorporates lessons learned, being
[JJB] created by the some of the \
[JJB] core engineers from Quadritek, the founders of QIP. The
[JJB] down side is it's a smaller \
[JJB] organization. So if the 'big blue' type mentality reigns,
[JJB] it can be difficult to move \
[JJB] in for political reasons. Overall though it is a
[JJB] technically superior solution.  \
[JJB] There are many other solutions, but they tend to
[JJB] facilitate individual DNS and DHCP \
[JJB] management and do not provide comprehensive network
[JJB] block, device, and IP management.
[JJB]
[JJB] I hope that helps
[JJB]
[JJB] Thanks
[JJB] --
[JJB] Daniel L. Needles
[JJB] OSS Principal Consultant
[JJB] wk/ph 916.276.9688
[JJB]
[JJB] -------------- Original message --------------
[JJB]
[JJB] > Is anyone doing distributed management of their DNS?
[JJB] >
[JJB] > Here at the University of Minnesota, we're currently
[JJB] using Qip (which we're
[JJB] > not happy with) to allow LAN admins around campus to
[JJB] manage their particular
[JJB] > domains and IP address ranges.
[JJB] >
[JJB] > This distributed approach gets the day-to-day DNS stuff
[JJB] out of the
[JJB] > engineering group.
[JJB] >
[JJB] > Is there any package, either commercial or otherwise,
[JJB] which addresses this
[JJB] > sort of non-centralized DNS managment?
[JJB] >
[JJB] > I haven't kept up on what's out there in terms of
[JJB] management packages. I'm
[JJB] > just starting to look into options and would appreciate
[JJB] any info.
[JJB] >
[JJB] > --
[JJB] > Steve Fletty