Nonexistent zone respond on query

Uddenhed, Marcus marcus.uddenhed at horby.se
Fri Feb 25 12:07:54 UTC 2005

Hello!!

I have a strange occurrence on our dns servers.

It's like this:

on our servers we have a pointer to our webmail like this:

Forward lookup:
webmail                 IN A    x.x.x.111

Reverse lookup:
111                       IN PTR  webmail.domain.se.

When we do a dig against our server from an external server it doesn't
report the above address it
reports the internal address instead but when i do the on the dns server
it reports the correct one.

But if we change the pointer above to 112 it suddenly report the right
IP from the external server as well
but when changed back to 111 it reports the internal one yet again?

We had a zone for the internal IP:s before when testing the server but
all visible records of that zone
has been removed from named.conf and the db file was also removed.
The servers was restarted without any luck.

To make it even more odd when a number anywhere in the IP pointing to
the server it acts like above
showing the correct outside address until changed back. to the
designated outside IP, it changes
back to showing the internal one.

Is there somewhere in the system where it caches old stuff or what's
going on?

We are running bind 9.3.0 on FreeBSD 5.3

Regards
Marcus Uddenhed

Webmaster / Webdesigner