dns query? no response ........

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 23 01:58:51 UTC 2005

raj kumar gurung wrote:

>hi list,,
>
>I am having trouble resolving one domain from my DNS servers.(Both
>primary and Secondary)...Later i tried building another new DNS server
>and it resolved the domain..
>What may be the possibilites of the failure for the first case???

Probably the nameserver failed to load the zone properly (when it was
configured as master) and/or could not transfer the zone (when it was
configured as slave). It's also possible you screwed up your allow-query
settings. Those are only some of the many possibilities.

More information about how the failing nameservers is/was configured,
what exactly the bad response was (SERVFAIL? NXDOMAIN? REFUSED? timeout?
incorrect/unexpected data?) and/or what log messages were present (if
any) when the nameserver tried to load or zone-transfer the zone, would
be immensely helpful in diagnosing what went wrong.

            - Kwcin