NOTIFY delay?

Mark K. Pettit pettit at yahoo-inc.com
Wed Feb 16 06:25:23 UTC 2005

Hello.

In reading RFC1996 ("A Mechanism for Prompt Notification of Zone
Changes"), I see the following section, which interests me:

    4.3. If a master server seeks to avoid causing a large number of
    simultaneous outbound zone transfers, it may delay for an arbitrary
    length of time before sending a NOTIFY message to any given slave.
    It is expected that the time will be chosen at random, so that each
    slave will begin its transfer at a unique time.  The delay shall not
    in any case be longer than the SOA REFRESH time.

    Note:
       This delay should be a parameter that each primary master name
       server can specify, perhaps on a per-zone basis.  Random delays
       of between 30 and 60 seconds would seem adequate if the servers
       share a LAN and the zones are of moderate size.

My question is simple:  Does BIND 8.X implement this "delay"?  I can
find no option on the named.conf manpage which says anything about it.

Thanks.

--
Mark K. Pettit, DNS Administrator, Yahoo! Inc.
pettit at yahoo-inc.com