Setting up BIND

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Wed Feb 16 02:53:55 UTC 2005

Murray Nelson wrote:

>Well I got BIND to run as a service on W2K. I have defined the
>ns1.mymansions.com in hosts file and as well as resolve.conf.

The hosts file is not used by BIND. What do you mean you put
ns1.mymansions.com in resolve.conf? Do you mean you put the IP address
of the server in there? On Wintel boxes, I don't think resolve.conf is
even used. If it is, it would only affect queries that the box itself
makes, not queries that come to the box from other clients.

>Now in
>this set up the server is behind a router and the rest of my network is
>behind a different router. The two routers are summed by a switch to the
>DMZ. I can surf to mymansions.net or mymansions.com from my network and
>get either site. But if I go on my neighbors computer and approach the
>server from the DMZ then I get nothing. I can Sam Spade who is and
>www.mymansions.net points to ns1.mymansions.com (205.206.56.5) but if I
>surf there the page doesn't load. On the other hand as I stated. From
>within my little lan I can get www.mymansions.net to load. Even though
>it is on a different router / server. I really haven't a clue how to set
>up named.conf although reading the html manual included with 9.3 for
>windows.

Sounds like the firewall your nameserver and the Internet is blocking
inbound DNS, which it should do by default. Have you set up port forwarding?

- Kevin