Req: Total beginners help - Win Q.

Kevin Darcy kcd at daimlerchrysler.com
Fri Dec 16 23:55:20 UTC 2005

Techie wrote:

>Ok, this is about a setup on a windows box for the prupose of learning from
>scratch. I better say that flat out from the beginning not to offend anyone
>since I have noticed it's happend far to easily before.
>
>Hence, I am here to learn. Not to step on peoples toes, and if that is to
>much, then I'm sorry but I not only want to learn, but I also have to
>learn.
>
>We all learn by different methods and I learn by taking an example and
>breaking it own. Not by building an example from scratch without knowing
>what I'm doing.
>
>Thus I am asking anyone willing to put about 15 minutes of effort in, to
>show me how to do this, so I can get something that may actually work, to
>bounce around with on my own.
>
>I have been told off before, because I am using a Win box to set this up
>and play around with. I have been told by some in my city that they want
>£1,000 to set up a box for me doing just what I outline below. (Some
>horrendus people, but I guess it's their idea of making a living.)
>
>What I simply need, to get in to this, may seem ridiculous to some, but
>hey, it's my way of learning, and if we where all the same, it would be a
>boring world to live in.
>
>Enough of the appologetics and to the study case of mine...
>
>This whole thing assumes I have run the installer on my XP can used for
>studies of any kind. It's not a distribution example but just for practical
>training anyway.
>
>What I plan to achive:    	A Master (primary) DNS server setup
>
>All names, zones and IP's are of course fictitious and for training
>purposes only.
>
>-----
>
>There are two domains.
>
>    MYMAINDOMAIN.COM
>    SECONDDOMAIN.COM
>
>    MYDOMAIN.COM has the following structure
>
>        NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM        on    99.99.99.1
>        NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM        on    99.99.99.2
>        MAIL.MYDOMAIN.COM       on    99.99.99.1
>        MAIL2.MYDOMAIN.COM      on    99.99.99.2
>        MYDOMAIN.COM            on    99.99.99.1
>        FTP.MYDOMAIN.COM        on    99.99.99.1
>
>Of course, www.mydomain.com should also go to 99.99.99.1
>The primary and secondary NS servers are self evident in this case.
>I would also need a sample of the reverse lookup file for 1.99.99.99.in-
>addr-arpa and 2.99.99.99.in-addr-arpa as well.
>
>There is also the SPF record to consider.
>
>    	"v=spf1 a mx ip4:99.99.99.1 ip4:99.99.99.2"
>

>Now, the second domain have the following structure.
>
>    	SECONDDOMAIN.COM is also located on 99.99.99.1
>
>Subsequently www.SECONDDOMAIN.COM is there too.
>
>    	FTP. SECONDDOMAIN.COM is also on 99.99.99.1
>
>    	MAIL. SECONDDOMAIN.COM		on	99.99.99.1
>    	MAIL2. SECONDDOMAIN.COM		on	99.99.99.2
>
>The primary and secondary NS for this SECONDDOMAIN.COM is
>
>    	NS1.MYDOMAIN.COM and NS2.MYDOMAIN.COM.
>
>Also here is the SPF record to consider.
>
>    	"v=spf1 a mx ip4:99.99.99.1 ip4:99.99.99.2"
>

>----
>
>Enough about the outline.

> [...]
Since SPF is the most "exceptional" part of your requirements, I spent a
few minutes with Google looking for an example of a whole zone file that
included SPF records, and turned up the following:
http://spf.idimo.com/how_to-s/how_to_set_up_SPF.html

As for named.conf, a simplistic config would be:

options {
    directory "/var/named";
    recursion no;
};

zone "example.com" {
    type master;
    file "example.com";
};

When I say "simplistic", I *really* mean simplistic. This doesn't
configure anything to do with logging, controls (i.e. the ability to
control the operation of the nameserver process via the "rndc" command;
because nothing has been defined for "controls", named will try on every
restart to set up the rndc control channel using default parameters, and
complain in the logs when that fails), and the only security measure
here is "recursion no", which disables named's capability to go out and
resolve names from other nameservers (therefore this config would be
useless for allowing your nameserver to resolve Internet DNS for local
clients). You'd really need to customize this in order to make it "ready
for the world", but to do a decent job of that, you'd need to understand
some of the underlying theory of DNS and some configuration basics of
the BIND implementation. The usual recommendation around here for
learning about both the theory and practice of DNS and BIND is the
_DNS_and_BIND_ book from O'Reilly. It's considered the "bible" on the
subject...

                                             - Kevin