Windows 2003 changing pointers to zones

Barry Finkel b19141 at achilles.ctd.anl.gov
Wed Aug 31 14:00:50 UTC 2005

benlonguk at hotmail.com wrote:

>We have a couple of Windows 2003 Domain Controllers that are changing
>pointers containing a dot in to zones. So for example the DCs have a
>domain ourcompany.com, we have a pointer in the DNS something like
>web.test but when the DCs boot up they try to tidy things up a bit and
>create a zone test.ourcompany.com with pointer web. Unfortunately they
>fail to complete the job.
>
>Trouble is these servers are application servers for websites and their
>code uses web.test so everytime a DC is rebooted we have to fix the
>DNS.
>
>Does anyone know of a way around this, for example a setting change on
>the DCs to stop them 'fixing' things or a config change we can do on
>BIND to prevent new zones being created.

I was unaware that DCs can create zones in DNS.  They obviously cannot
create new zones on a BIND server, as there is no DNS protocol for
creating zones (which would require modifying the BIND config file and
doing an "rndc reload").  And I doubt that a DC will create a new zone
on a MS W2k/W2k+3 DNS Server.  The "bible" - "DNS on Windows Server
2003" has a chapter "Managing DNS Programatically", which gives examples
of zone creation via VBScript.  But I doubt that the MS DC actually
creates a zone, because there are zone options that need to be set
during zone creation.  I have not seen any MS documentation that says
that a DC will create a new zone, but I have not perused the MS
documentation extensively.

Maybe one of us can give you assistance if you tell us EXACTLY what
the DC is changing in DNS - we would need the "before and after".
It is unclear from your posting exactly what is being changed in DNS.
Barry S. Finkel
Building 222, Room D209              Internet: BSFinkel at anl.gov