CNAME setup

Vinny Abello vinny at tellurian.com
Sun Aug 28 01:03:26 UTC 2005

At 08:57 PM 8/27/2005, Jim Pazarena wrote:
>What I am trying to accomplish is that all my virtual domains map back
>to my actual
>domain of www.qcislands.net, and I want to be able to change "one file"
>for all the various
>domains' IP numbers.
>
>So not only did I try the above, I also tried:
>lifeboatscanada.com.   IN A   $INCLUDE ip_fyl_name
>... which failed because I presume the $INCLUDE must be at the beginning
>of a line
>... the re-load complained that $INCLUDE was an invalid numeric value
>
>so I tried
>lifeboatscanada.com.   IN A
>$INCLUDE ip_fyl_name
>... which failed for a reason (I think) "line not terminated" (or
>something like that)
>
>is there any way to have the 100 or so virtual domains which I have,
>fetch their IP
>from one common file, so that if my server changes IPs, I can change
>only the one file
>rather than all 100 of my virtual setup's ?
>
>Thanks!
>Jim

In your named.conf, point all the domains to the same zone file. In
the zone file, reference the zone itself using the @ symbol so it'll
use whatever you are referencing with the zone statement in named.conf.

Vinny Abello
Network Engineer
Server Management
vinny at tellurian.com
(973)300-9211 x 125
(973)940-6125 (Direct)
PGP Key Fingerprint: 3BC5 9A48 FC78 03D3 82E0  E935 5325 FBCB 0100 977A

http://www.tellurian.com (888)TELLURIAN

"Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear - not absence of
fear" -- Mark Twain