CNAME setup

Jim Pazarena bind at ccstores.com
Sun Aug 28 00:57:26 UTC 2005

Barry Margolin wrote:

>In article <der0cf$ebc$1 at sf1.isc.org>, Jim Pazarena <bind at ccstores.com>
>wrote:
>

>>I have tried to set a virtual domain like:
>>
>>;
>>;  authoritative data for lifeboatscanada.com
>>;
>>
>>$INCLUDE qcislands.soa
>>
>>$ORIGIN lifeboatscanada.com.
>>
>>lifeboatscanada.com.  IN A     64.69.87.111
>>www                   IN A     64.69.87.111
>>ftp                   IN A     64.69.87.111
>>
>>and this seems to works OK, but when I try to "CNAME" these entries, like:
>>

>>lifeboatscanada.com.  IN CNAME www.qcislands.net
>>www                   IN CNAME www.qcislands.net
>>ftp                   IN CNAME www.qcislands.net
>>
>>doesn't work... the master re-load complains "CNAME and other data"
>>

>You can't use a CNAME for the zone name itself.  A name cannot be both
>an alias and also have records of its own, and the zone name is required
>to have SOA and NS records of its own.  Ergo, it can't also be an alias.
>So you should do something like:
>
>lifeboatscanada.com.  IN A     64.69.87.111
>www                   IN CNAME www.qcislands.net.
>ftp                   IN CNAME www.qcislands.net.
>
>Also, don't forget the "." at the ends of "www.qcislands.net."

The lack of quotations were a typo.

What I am trying to accomplish is that all my virtual domains map back
to my actual
domain of www.qcislands.net, and I want to be able to change "one file"
for all the various
domains' IP numbers.

So not only did I try the above, I also tried:
lifeboatscanada.com.   IN A   $INCLUDE ip_fyl_name
... which failed because I presume the $INCLUDE must be at the beginning
of a line
... the re-load complained that $INCLUDE was an invalid numeric value

so I tried
lifeboatscanada.com.   IN A
$INCLUDE ip_fyl_name
... which failed for a reason (I think) "line not terminated" (or
something like that)

is there any way to have the 100 or so virtual domains which I have,
fetch their IP
from one common file, so that if my server changes IPs, I can change
only the one file
rather than all 100 of my virtual setup's ?

Thanks!
Jim