dns reverse lookup on co-lo address space

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 26 22:28:08 UTC 2005

In article <denkkp$1i5t$1 at sf1.isc.org>, "noc-ops" <aptgetd at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> [Apologies to those of you who received this e-mail in multiple
> forums.]
>
> Say if I have a domain name called domain.com which resolves
> to 192.168.0.0/24.

What's that supposed to mean?  Names don't resolve to network addresses,
they refer to individual IP addresses.  E.g. host1.domain.com resolves
to 192.168.0.1, host2.domain.com resolves to 10.100.200.5, domain.com
and www.domain.com both resolve to 192.168.50.33, and so on.

> Now if I decide to move my server farm (collection
> of 10 machines) to a co-lo's network (172.16.0.0/24), what do I need to
> do in order to resolve reverse lookup for these machines to my
> domain.com.

Get the administrator of the new co-lo's reverse DNS to add the names to
their reverse zone file, or delegate the reverse DNS to your nameserver.

> Would I need to ping my registrar on this? If so, any insight (BCP)
> will be appreciated.

Registrars are only involved in delegating forward domains.  Reverse DNS
is delegated from the RIR's to ISPs, and then from ISPs to their
customers.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA