Managing ever growing journal files..

Mark Andrews Mark_Andrews at isc.org
Thu Aug 25 22:48:22 UTC 2005

> Dear All,
>   I have searched for this topic in this group and haven't
> found a satisfactory answer. Any info will be of great help.
>
> I am using BIND 9.2 which does not support max-journal-size
> option. So I am curious to know how to control ever growing
> journal file(s).

	You upgrade.  Why are people so afaid of upgrading especially
	when it gets you the feature you are looking for?

> We have several zones and we do a lot of dynamic updates to all
> zones every now and then. This causes the journal files to grow
> for ever.
>
> The "DNS & BIND COOKBOOK" says that BIND-9 takes
> care of trimming these ever growing journal files. But I didn't
> quite understand how exactly this is done.
>
> Questions:
> 1. How to do house keeping of these ever growing journal files without
> deleting or backing up these files?

	You stop named with 'rndc stop' which will flush out the
	unconsolidated changes to the master file.  You then delete
	the journal.

> 2. Are there any utilities to do house keeping of journal files?

	None other than 'rndc stop' and 'rm'.

--
Mark Andrews, ISC
PHONE: +61 2 9871 4742                 INTERNET: Mark_Andrews at isc.org