Managing ever growing journal files..

blrmaani blrmaani at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 15:41:56 UTC 2005

Dear All,
  I have searched for this topic in this group and haven't
found a satisfactory answer. Any info will be of great help.

I am using BIND 9.2 which does not support max-journal-size
option. So I am curious to know how to control ever growing
journal file(s).

We have several zones and we do a lot of dynamic updates to all
zones every now and then. This causes the journal files to grow
for ever.

The "DNS & BIND COOKBOOK" says that BIND-9 takes
care of trimming these ever growing journal files. But I didn't
quite understand how exactly this is done.

Questions:
1. How to do house keeping of these ever growing journal files without
deleting or backing up these files?

2. Are there any utilities to do house keeping of journal files?

Thanks in advance for the help

regards
Blr.