Windows 2003 changing pointers to zones

benlonguk at hotmail.com benlonguk at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 25 09:36:21 UTC 2005

Hi,

We have a couple of Windows 2003 Domain Controllers that are changing
pointers containing a dot in to zones. So for example the DCs have a
domain ourcompany.com, we have a pointer in the DNS something like
web.test but when the DCs boot up they try to tidy things up a bit and
create a zone test.ourcompany.com with pointer web. Unfortunately they
fail to complete the job.

Trouble is these servers are application servers for websites and their
code uses web.test so everytime a DC is rebooted we have to fix the
DNS.

Does anyone know of a way around this, for example a setting change on
the DCs to stop them 'fixing' things or a config change we can do on
BIND to prevent new zones being created.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA

Ben.