a question about compile BIND while Creating chroot jail

Jason Vas Dias jvdias at redhat.com
Wed Aug 24 22:52:44 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-08-24 at 17:46, Kevin Darcy wrote:
> hamideh d wrote:
>
> >hi ,
> >the BIND on redhat9 is in form of RPM,i want to create
> >chroot jail for it,in
> >http://www.losurs.org/docs/howto/Chroot-BIND.html is
> >written to compile BIND after making chroot jail,but i
> >don't have source code for BIND to compile it,what
> >shoul i do ? uninstalling BIND rpm and install it from
> >source code?
> >
> RPM'ing BIND should substitute for Step 3 and Step 4.1 of that guide.
> You might have to adjust some pathnames and such...
>
> You might also want to check whether you can get an RPM that
> automatically sets up the chroot jail for you. A quick Google search
> indicates that such RPMs exists, I just don't know if any of them are
> compatible with redhat9...
>

>                         - Kevin

BIND 9.3.1 compiled for RHEL-2.1 is at:
   http://people.redhat.com/~jvdias/bind/RHEL-2.1
This includes the 'bind-chroot' RPM which runs bind in a chroot jail,
and should be compatible with RHL-9.0, which is DEFUNCT and unsupported.
You may want to rebuild the src.rpm on RHL-9.0 with:
   # rpmbuild --rebuild bind-9.3.1-1_EL2.src.rpm
and then install the resulting RPMs in /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/$ARCH .

You should really consider upgrading to a modern, supported OS like FC-4
   http://fedora.redhat.com/download/
where bind-9.3.1 also has a bind-chroot package.

If you've any problems, let me know off-list.

Regards,
Jason Vas Dias
Red Hat BIND package maintainer