Problems with Bind 9 Views (internal,external)

Stefan Sabolowitsch Stefan.Sabolowitsch at feltengmbh.de
Wed Aug 24 14:06:13 UTC 2005

Hi List,

Need your assistance.
I have here two servers with bind 9.2.4.
One is the master and the other Slave.

I have problems with the updates (master, slave) of the two among themselves
(views).

If i

rndc reload XXXXX.com IN external

make, the Slave takes itself the information from the master
"internal" zone and written these in the Slave "external" zone files.
Thus "internal" zone files of the master have same contents as the
"external" zone files of the Slave.

Why? That ist fatal.

Here the named.conf from slave:

// internal hosts
acl internals {
    192.168.1.0/24;
    192.168.0.0/24;
    192.168.100.0/24;
    192.168.5.0/24;
    192.168.6.0/24;
    127.0.0.0/24;
    };

// external hosts
acl externals {
    !internals;
    };

acl forwarder {
    194.25.0.68;
    194.25.0.52;
    194.25.0.60;
    };
acl telekom {
    194.25.0.125;
    194.25.0.121;
    194.25.1.113;
    194.25.15.217;
    194.246.96/24;
    129.70.132.100;
    195.244.245.27;
    194.25.0.122;
    195.244.245.25;
    195.244.245.24;
    194.25.0.44;
    194.25.0.45;
    194.25.0.46;
    62.156.152.59;
    62.156.153.47;
    };

options {
   directory "/etc/namedb";
   pid-file "/var/run/named/named.pid";

   allow-transfer { none; };                    // sample allow-transfer
   allow-query { internals; externals; telekom; };       // restrict query
access
   allow-recursion { internals; };              // restrict recursion
   notify no;
    forward only;
    forwarders {
        194.25.0.52;
        194.25.0.60;
        194.25.0.68;
        };
};

logging {
            channel named_info {
                // log to syslog instead of a file
                syslog daemon;
          severity info;
                // include the category of the event in the log
                print-category yes;
                // include the severity of the event in the log
                print-severity yes;
                // include the time of the event in the log
                // print-time yes;
            };

            // Processing of client requests
            category client { named_info; };

            // named.conf parsing and processing
            category config { named_info; };

            // Messages relating to internal memory structures
            category database { named_info; };

            // This is the default for any category not specifically defined

            category default { named_info; };

            // The catch-all. Anything without a category of its own
            category general { named_info; };

            // Uncomment if you dont want to know about lame server.
            // Leave commented and it defaults to the
            // value of default above
            // category lame-servers { null; };

            // The NOTIFY protocol
            category notify { named_info; };

            // Network operations
            category network { named_info; };

            // DNS resolution like recursive lookups, etc..
            category resolver { named_info; };

            // Approval and denial of requests
            category security { named_info; };

            // Dynamic updates
            category update { named_info; };

            // Queries. Duh.
            category queries { named_info; };

            // Zone transfers received
            category xfer-in { named_info; };

            // Zone transfers sent
            category xfer-out { named_info; };
};

view "internal" {
   // Internal network
    match-clients {
        internals;
        127.0.0.0/24;
        };

    recursion yes;

   // Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
   zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type master;
      file "db.127.0.0";
      notify no;
   };

   // Root server hints
   zone "." IN {
      type hint;
      file "db.cache";
   };

   // We are the slave server for XXXXX.de
   zone "XXXXX.de" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.XXXXX-de.internal";

      allow-query { internals; };
      allow-transfer { internals; };
   };

 // We are the slave server for XXXXX.com
   zone "XXXXX.com" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.XXXXX-com.internal";

      allow-query { internals; };
      allow-transfer { internals; };
   };

   // Provide a reverse mapping for 192.168.0.0-255
      zone "0.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.192.168.0.rev";

      allow-query { internals; };
      allow-transfer { internals; };
   };

   // Provide a reverse mapping for 192.168.1.0-255
      zone "1.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.192.168.1.rev";

      allow-query { internals; };
      allow-transfer { internals; };
   };

   // Provide a reverse mapping for 192.168.100.0-255
      zone "100.168.192.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.192.168.100.rev";

      allow-query { internals; };
      allow-transfer { internals; };
   };

};

view "external" {
   // External network
     match-clients { any; };

     recursion no;        // refuse recursive service to external clients

   // Provide a reverse mapping for the loopback address 127.0.0.1
     zone "0.0.127.in-addr.arpa" IN {
     type master;
     file "db.127.0.0";
     notify no;
   };

   // Root server hints
     zone "." IN {
     type hint;
     file "db.cache";
   };

   // We are the slave server for XXXXX.de
      zone "XXXXX.de" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.XXXXX-de.external";

        notify yes;
        allow-query {
            any;
            };
        allow-transfer {
            any;
            };
   };

   // We are the slave server for XXXXX.com
      zone "XXXXX.com" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.XXXXX-com.external";

        notify yes;
        allow-query {
            any;
            };
        allow-transfer {
            any;
            };
   };

   // Provide a reverse mapping for 217.6.XX.0/25
      zone "0.XX.6.217.in-addr.arpa" IN {
      type slave;
    masters {192.168.100.20; };
      file "db.217.6.XX.rev";