Do root servers change ?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Fri Aug 19 01:26:41 UTC 2005

In article <de3be0$l3m$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Mark Andrews <Mark_Andrews at isc.org> wrote:

> > I have a caching DNS server running on a remote server.
> >
> > What should be routing maintenance activity ?
> >
> > Do root servers change ?
>
> 	Yes.  They have changed both names and addresses in the
> 	past.

While they do change, it's relatively safe to ignore this.  One of the
things that named does when it starts up is query one of the servers in
the root hints to get the current set of root servers.  So unless the
addresses have changed so much that none of the servers in the hints are
available, named will always be up to date.  The only other concern
would be if one of the old root server addresses were reassigned to
someone running a fake root server; hopefully, the powers that be of the
Internet would be careful not to reassign address blocks that have been
used by root operators.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA