Forward of a website.com to a www.website.com ?

Brett Carr brettcarr at ripe.net
Wed Aug 17 21:02:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 17 Aug 2005, Peter Dambier wrote:
> BoogieAgogo wrote:
> > I know this seems like a very little question, but I can't find the
> > answer:
> >   How do I get a domain to forward to the WWW. when a user does not
> > type it?  ( Example, if you type yahoo.com it will forward to
> > www.yahoo.com )
> > I know it's not that big of a deal, but I have noticed on my websites
> > that my Google Pagerank does not show up for the non WWW address.  I'm
> > not sure if it affects pagerank, but I would just prefer to be on the
> > safe side.
>
> Sorry, this is HTML not DNS, but here you go:
> Look at http://www.peter-dambier.de
> <HTML><HEAD>
> <META NAME=...
> <META NAME=...
> <TITLE>Peter und Karin Dambier</TITLE>
> </HEAD>
>
> <FRAMESET ROWS="100%,*" BORDER="0" FRAMEBORDER="0">
> <FRAME SRC="http://www.peter-dambier.gmxhome.de/"
>   SCROLLING="AUTO" NAME="bannerframe" NORESIZE>
> </FRAMESET>
>
> <NOFRAMES>
> Peter und Karin Dambier
> <P><DIV ALIGN="CENTER">
> <A HREF="http://www.peter-dambier.gmxhome.de/">
> http://peter-dambier.de/
> </A></DIV>
> </NOFRAMES>
>
> </HTML>

but this is a rather complicated way to achieve what you can do in your
DNS zone file with one entry:

If your website is www.yahoo.com in your yahoo.com zone file you will have

www		A	216.109.117.107

to make sure that unqualified queries (IE just the domain name) go to the
same place just add an entry

@		A	216.109.117.107

The @ sign just means repeat the domain name.

Brett..

--
Brett Carr                              Ripe Network Coordination Centre
System Engineer -- Operations Group     Singel 258 Amsterdam NL