one zone where master answers but slave doesn't

Dave Stewart dstewart at aquaflo.com
Mon Aug 15 23:19:49 UTC 2005

Hi all!
I have something curious here and I'm not sure how to track it down.
I have set up two named servers to resolve internal addresses which
seem to be working fine, except for one zone. Nothing in the log
files on either server seem to indicate any trouble.

The master for this particular zone is running on an AIX 5.1 box
named "rusty" and runs BIND 9.3.1. Dig reports the following:

myprecious:~ DWS$ dig @rusty aquaflo.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @rusty aquaflo.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 1

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;aquaflo.com.                   IN      A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
aquaflo.com.            259200  IN      A       192.168.12.230

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
aquaflo.com.            259200  IN      NS      rusty.aquaflo.com.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
rusty.aquaflo.com.      259200  IN      A       192.168.12.200

;; Query time: 11 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.12.200#53(rusty)
;; WHEN: Mon Aug 15 12:22:08 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 81

myprecious:~ DWS$

Looks fine. Now the same query through a slave server for this zone,
which is running on an OSX 10.3.9 box named "diags" (a Mac Mini, if
it matters) and running BIND 9.2.2 (outdated I know, but not by that
much right? Besides, this is only for internal use:):

myprecious:~ DWS$ dig @diags aquaflo.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.2 <<>> @diags aquaflo.com
;; global options:  printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr aa rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;aquaflo.com.                   IN      A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
aquaflo.com.            86400   IN      SOA     rusty.aquaflo.com.
dstewart.aquaflo.com. 1 43200 3600 1209600 86400

;; Query time: 1 msec
;; SERVER: 192.168.12.25#53(diags)
;; WHEN: Mon Aug 15 12:22:03 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 80

myprecious:~ DWS$

Note that I have a number of other zones that resolve perfectly
through both servers (including "www.aquaflo.com"), it's just this
one ("aquaflo.com") that seems to have issues. Logging on both
servers is currently at severity "info" and a bunch of categories
turned on (config, lame-servers, queries, xfer-in, xfer-out, client,
and general on "diags" specifically). I've tried restarting named on
both machines (figuring I could track the issue down faster if I had
shorter log files to weed through), but nothing has changed and
nothing in the logs indicate a problem at all. I have even cranked up
the logging on "diags" to include everything at severity "debug 10",
but still nothing indicating a problem.

Ideas? Thoughts? Suggestions? Before I spend too much more time
trying to track this down, does anyone have an idea where I should
start looking for the problem?

Dave Stewart
Aqua~Flo Supply (Goleta CA)
dstewart at aquaflo dot com