Why would BIND timeout on only 'A' results?

Barry Margolin barmar at alum.mit.edu
Sat Aug 13 20:48:37 UTC 2005

In article <ddk9rc$2jb5$1 at sf1.isc.org>,
 Brad Knowles <brad at stop.mail-abuse.org> wrote:

> At 5:21 PM -0400 2005-08-12, Dave Clark wrote:
>
> >  Check out this strangeness.  Keep in mind I am not the owner of this
> >  domain.
> >  I'm just helping this guy with diagnosing the problem with his dns server:
> >
> >  dig cawunited.com (times out)
>
> 	Is this still a problem?  Because dnsreport.com doesn't show any
> timeouts at all.  See
> <http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.ch?domain=cawunited.com>.

I don't think DNS Report ever tries to perform an A query on the domain
name.  It looks up the SOA and MX records, and the A record of
www.<domain>.

I notice that I get a timeout when I try to look up the A record of
mail.cawunited.com, which the MX record points to, but DNS Report
doesn't seem to have a problem when validating the MX record and testing
mail to the domain.  But maybe it's using the cached A record that gets
returned as an Additional Record when performing the MX lookup.

Barry Margolin, barmar at alum.mit.edu
Arlington, MA